Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Happy Birthday Layne!

Today was Layne's birthday! She woke up at 6 am to have a Skype call with her whole family because it was the only time they could all get together! Of course, I was able to sleep through this, and we both woke up around 12. We planned on going for birthday burek with Linly at 1:00, so we hung around until it was time to go. It was Linly's first time eating burek, and I think she really liked it (but then again, how could you not?). The man at the 'restaurant' was kind enough to take a picture of all of us with Layne's burek and birthday candles.

 A very Montenegrin birthday 'cake'

 All three of us with the burek cake

 Finally a picture of burek: the best thing in Montenegro! :)

 View of meat inside the burek. To be eaten with soured milk, a.k.a yogurt. SOOO GOOD!

After burek, we made a quick stop at the fruit market which was right next door to see if they had any jars of honey. Every morning, we usually eat yogurt, fruit and granola. However, granola is really expensive over here! We decided to make our own granola and wanted to see how much the honey was at the market. It was 8E for a large jar of honey, so we decided to wait on buying the honey. When I told Rose, the vendor that Layne always goes to, that it was Layne's birthday, she gave her 2 apples and an orange as a present! It was very sweet of her. 

Layne and her fruit presents!

Unfortunately, it was not a very nice day and rained for most of the afternoon. This ruined our idea of maybe going to a cafe on the beach or anything that involved walking and being outside. So we spent our time in the apartment making hummus and wasting time on the computer, and Layne talked to a few of her friends and family on Skype. At 5:30 I was told to meet some of my teammates at this corner in town to pick out a present for Layne from the team. We ended up going to a jewelry store where they picked out a heart pendant and chain. From there, we went to a flower store and got an arrangement with three red roses and a long curvy stick of bamboo. Finally, we went to the market where the girls picked out a box of chocolates. They gave Layne all her presents in the locker room before training. Here is Layne with her presents from the team:

The flowers, candy, and heart necklace

After practice, we headed over to Soho to grab a drink and eat the cake that I made Layne. She was also able to open the gifts that I got her. They were all silly, little gifts. Check out the pictures from Soho:

 Happy 23rd Birthday Layne!!!

 Layne blowing out the candles

 Layne with her beautiful cake!

 With the presents I gave her: Gingerbread cookies, Kinder Surprise, 3 bootleg DVDs, an awesome yellow headband, an air freshener for the bathroom that sometimes smells, and a thing of Kleenex for the restrooms (Not pictured: A bag of Smokis)

Overall, I think Layne had a nice birthday despite the horrible weather! HAPPY BIRTHDAY LAYNE!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful birthday especially half way around the world - cake looks very nice. Wish Layne a HAPPY BIRTHDAY from me. Miss you tons Love always

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're so nice- and your team mates are too- geaux gulls !
    luv ya- dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow--you guys really made Layne's birthday special!How considerate of you and the team. Your cake looked so professional--hiding your talents--liked the picts as well--you are all such cuties! Happy B-Day Layne! Miss you Lauren-xxxAunt Toni

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks family! it was an awesome birthday and I'm so glad I had someone here to share it with me.

    ReplyDelete