Thursday, March 10, 2011

Ratac Monastery and Private Beach!

I wanted to get out of the apartment today, so Layne and I planned a short trip to a monastery close by and to check out the beaches. It was within walking distance, so we made a small picnic and headed to the road. We first walked along the beach in Bar where we saw our coach, Luka. This worried us a little because Layne was wearing shorts, and they are always worried about us catching colds. Hopefully, he doesn't say anything at practice tonight! After more walking along the main road that leads to most of the rest of Montenegro, we knew we were getting close to our destination.

 With the street sign!

You can see the monastery jutting out on the cliff. 

To get to the monastery, you had to walk through this forest. It was a little scary because we thought there might be animals running around, but no worries, we were safe. When we finally got there, I have to admit, the monastery was not very impressive. It was similar to the buildings in Stari Bar, just not kept up as well. We took a few pictures, but did not stick around. 

 "Inside" of the monastery

With the monastery and the mountains behind me!

We then walked through the forest more in hopes of finding these stairs we had seen from the car that lead down to a beach. However, we found something much better: our own private beach. It took some climbing to get down there, but it was worth it!

 Our private beach! (At least until it gets warmer)

Queen of the beach!

Luckily Layne had suggested we bring our bathing suits, and although it was not very hot, we laid out. The water was pretty chilly, but the sun felt good! We had a small picnic, but mostly just chilled out on the beach. The rocks were not the most comfortable things to lay on, but there are few sandy beaches in Montenegro. Hopefully it gets warmer so we can go in the water!

 The view from my towel.

We headed back home, ate at Palma, and then watched Conviction. I thought it was very good and would recommend it to all my readers. :) After you watch it, google Kenneth Waters and find out more about his life after what the movie shows. Off to practice!


4 comments:

  1. sweet setup- like the beach rocks- reminds me of drew and our landscaping stones- LSUCY AND ETHEL'S excellent adventure continues!- (I'm sure you won't get the baby boomer reference- also- put more people in your videos- would love to see gypsy boy etc.)
    LUV YA-
    DAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. gypsy boy will DEFINITELY make an appearance in a blog post. It's only a matter of time

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would not want to lie down on that beach!! I thought the monastery looked like an interesting place to explore--any crazed monks running around?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Lauren! I am so impressed with your blog, your photos, and your adventurous spirit. You were always such a picky eater when you were a little girl back in Libertyville, I can't imagine how you are surviving over there - but alas, I guess you are all grown up! Stay safe and enjoy your travels!!

    ReplyDelete