- We lost in the finals of the Cup 3-2 to Luka Bar in Podgorica a few weeks back. The game was televised for all of Montenegro, and we played really well. We just dug ourselves a little too deep of a hole in the 5th set and couldn't get out. Although it was disappointing that we were so close, I think it actually gave our team a little bit of confidence. We had not been playing our best volleyball recently, and playing toe-to-toe with Luka Bar who killed us 3-0 previously helped the team get out of that funk.
- Layne and I were exhausted after that game, so we did not go anyway on our day off the day following the game. Actually, we have not done much traveling recently because the weather has also not cooperated. It has been cloudy or raining for almost the past two weeks. The only positive about the weather is that is has been in the upper 50s and lower 60s, so it is not too cold. Instead of sightseeing, we have been baking and cooking lots of different things. We have made a funfetti cake that Layne's parents sent in one of her packages. We made chocolate chips cookies one day, and tried to make honey pretzels another day. Unfortunately, the preztels did turn out very good because the dough would not rise. (I think we killed the yeast with too hot of this liquid mixture because we did not have a thermometer to measure its temperature.) We also made an eggplant pasta dish for Lent and sort of a Mexican chicken dish with peppers, onions, avocado and Spanish rice. Sometimes we get super tired of Palma because we order the same thing every 3 days, so those meals were super delicious.
- I have also been reading and watching more movies. I finished a few books that were free with my Kindle and also The Kite Runner. The Kite Runner was a little depressing, but well-written and interesting. I am currently reading Beautiful Boy which is a father's tale of his son's addiction to meth. I am enjoying the story and learning a lot about meth addiction. Recent movies we have watched have included: Winter's Bone, Never Let Me Go, 127 hours, No Strings Attached, Burlesque, and Killers. I was surprised at how bad Winter's Bone was considering it was nominated for several awards. 127 hours was an interesting true story, but a little disturbing when the main character had to cut off his arm to escape. All the others were average, entertaining movies. Next in line for viewing are: The Dilemma, True Grit, Hereafter, Fair Game, How Do You Know, and Frankie and Alice.
- Last Saturday started the semi-finals of the end of the season championship. We had to play a best of three series against Buducnost. Buducnost previously beat us in five games. Well, we won the game on Saturday in five in Podgorica. It was super close and nerve-racking, but we were able to pull out the victory. Our second game was tonight in Bar. We started the game really well and won the first set easily. The second game we were ahead 23-18, but they came back to win that game. After a horrible third game, we won the fourth which sent the game to the final, deciding fifth set. Luckily, we won! Now we play Luka Bar for the championship in a best of five series. This is our chance to make up for the loss in the Cup final. I think we start the series on Wednesday, but maybe not until next Saturday. We have two easy practices the next two days before having a day off Sunday.
- I'd also like to wish a Happy Birthday to my nephew and my sister-in-law, Amanda. My nephew, Andrew, turns 5 today. I remember when my brother, Drew, called me as I was walking to class to tell me that they were having a boy. I can't believe that was five years ago! Miss you kid! Amanda's birthday is tomorrow, but as I probably won't have a post, I am going to wish her a happy birthday today. Hopefully you both got my Serbian birthday cards! HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANDREW AND AMANDA! Love you both! :)
Wednesday, March 23, 2011
Recent Happenings!
It's been almost two weeks since my last post, but not a lot has happened these past few weeks. Here is a recap of my past two weeks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks for the latest post. As usual, I love to read about what is going on in your life. Congrats on the win. Keep up the winning ways. Hope the sun comes out and stays out so you and Layne can venture out some more. Funfetti must be a universal good cake for young people. I am sure you were glad to see that and that Layne was willing to share. :>) Looking forward to hearing about your next adventure - As always, stay safe. Love and Miss you Mom
ReplyDeleteditto what mom said- interesting- you guys are watching a lot of movies- we went over today and "cleaned" Drew's garage- he's got a ton of stuff- stuffed to the gills- and has already dropped off a load at his storage unit- Andrew loved his birthday day- spent time with his daddy, mommy and us- what fun! keep posing and beat "schmooka Luca"- GEAUX GULL GURLS!- and stay SAFE- boff of U!
ReplyDelete