Tuesday, March 8, 2011

International Women's Day and Mardi Gras!

Today is International Women's Day and Fat Tuesday. I was aware of it being Fat Tuesday from my many years in Louisiana, but I had never heard of International Women's Day until today. In fact, it is the 100 year anniversary of IWD. As I was walking through the centar today, I noticed a lot of street vendors selling flowers who usually are not there. I thought this was weird, but assumed it was because the weather is getting warmer and more people want to plant flowers. Nope, I was wrong! It was for IWD. Maja tried to explain it to Layne and I, but I looked it up online when I got home for a better understanding. 

IWD is basically a day where everyone around the world celebrates women and brings attention to the challenges that remain in creating gender equality. The first IWD was held in Germany in 1911 and is celebrated primarily in Eastern Europe, Russia, and the former Soviet bloc. In fact, it is an official holiday in Montenegro. IWF is celebrated by men giving the women in their lives flowers and small gifts. The first thing Luka said to us at practice was, "Happy International Women's Day!" And at the end of practice, Luka and Rajco gave each one of us a flower. Very sweet!

 With my red flower (I got to choose between a white flower and red flower. Luka told me that red meant love and white was for funerals. I obviously chose the red one!)

HAPPY INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY and MARDI GRAS!!!!

2 comments:

  1. happy IWD day - to you and Layne- you're both strong, independent young ladies - Lauren- we are so proud of you- it hurts!
    It was nice of him to give you girls flowers- kinda like Valentines day- although that goes both ways- I Guess. Keep posting and keep meeting people- you're a long way from us- but know that your peeps here love and cherish you- and BTW - I think Frankie is gonna be as tall and beautiful as you- kinda like the little sister that you never had.
    LUV YA-
    DAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good choice going with a red flower - Drew,Amanda and the kids just left and headed for church for ashes. They came over for dinner cause they had a showing at 5:30. Enjoyed getting together. Never heard of IWD day but think it is a wonderful idea. Take care and play hard this week end.

    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete